Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Our House...Before and After

Before
After

My new hobby...organic gardening



Thought I'd send an update of our house and a couple of pictures to show some of the improvements we've made since we've moved in. We had to do a ton to the yard to get it up to par. The previous owner was trying to xeroscape the lawn and had put a 3 foot perimeter around the entire yard of red lava rock...yuck! Poor Dale shoveled all if out (it took him a good 2 weeks straight) and hauled it to the back of our property line. Talk about back breaking work. Ugh. We also cut back a lot of overgrowth, laid 2 pallets of sod, installed over 20 cubic yards of mulch (that's an entire dump truck full), seeded like crazy, and revamped the sprinkler system. Not to mention, we installed a small organic garden (my little hobby). Not too shabby for only living here 3 months. LOL As for the house, we finally installed my new mahagony front door and my handy Dale put in a nifty drip system for my hanging ferns. He's so good to me! I've included a couple of before and after photos for your viewing. We're definitely having fun.



2 comments:

Melissa said...

your house is gorgeous!!! I love it. I just can't get into gardening but I know I should. That's impressive. post more pictures of your house. I'd love to see them. What a beautiful place to live!

Daynia Ruth said...

Amazing how our lives parallel on opposite sides of the world. Your diet will be so healthy eating the fresh veggies Dawna. Good on Dale for supporting you in your endeavors. I had to use the 'Mother's Day' angle to get Adam helping me plant 15 yucka trees on the weekend. His favorite is hacking down trees with the chainsaw. We call our style "crisis gardening." We only do it when it's an absolute necessity because the tree is falling on the phone line or vines growing into the pool.

I've been "forced?!" to get into gardening because we bought 1 1/4 acre and all plants love the glorious weather here (including weeds Aargh)
Now I'm finding it's quite fun to see things coming together. Let's face it, plants are way more predictable than people. Although I'm definitely a people person, it's a breath of fresh air to see beauty taking shape after investing time into an area of garden....good for the soul.